Arkansas Insurance Department
Information on Surplus Lines

When licensed insurers are unwilling or unable to provide needed coverage, consumers can secure coverage with an approved surplus line insurer (also called a “non-admitted” carrier) through a licensed surplus line broker. Individuals or corporations may secure insurance coverage directly from a non-admitted insurer.
This coverage is considered "independently procured."  If the insurance is independently procured, the purchaser must pay the premium tax directly to the Arkansas Insurance Department on a “Report of Independently Procured Insurance Tax” form.

To view the Rule and Regulation regarding surplus lines coverage click here (Rule 24)

Search the Insurance Agent database.  This useful tool contains useful information on every insurance agent licensed to sell insurance in Arkansas.

The Nonadmitted and Reinsurance Reform Act of 2010 (NRRA) restricts the eligibility requirements Arkansas may impose on a company to be a nonadmitted insurer in our state. The Commissioner will continue to maintain a list of eligible surplus lines insurers.

Please visit our Finance Division website at for:
  1. Updated annual filing changes;
  2. Procedures for transitioning from an "Approved" to an "Eligible" Surplus Lines Insurer and have your statutory deposit released;
  3. Current list of eligible surplus lines insurers operating in Arkansas; and
  4. Other useful links and information.